Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Yamini's Bharatanatyam Recital

Yamini is my beloved yoga teacher. I've been learning from her since I landed in India about 2 years ago and I think I'm only as good as I am in my practice today because of her guidance (that should earn my some brownie points!).

Yamini also teaches Bharatanatyam and dances it professionally. Just in case you are unfamiliar, Bharatanatyam is a classical dance form originating in Tamil Nadu, India. Read more about it here. As much as I want to learn this dance form, I think I'm a little overaged. I heard that most people start at 4 years old.

A couple months ago, I went to one of Yamini's recitals and it was simply beautiful!

Backstage with Yamini

DSC_0747

DSC_0767

DSC_0777

The Performance

DSC_0823

DSC_0891

DSC_0871
Naturally, it is only fair that some yoga asanas have to be incorporated into the recital.

The dance was super awesome! What surprises me about classical Indian dances is despite the techniques and beauty of the dance, it is so under appreciated, even in India. I wish the younger generation would spend less time watching MTV and more time exploring local arts.

No comments: