Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sunfeast 10K Run

I was never a runner. Running 20 minutes on a treadmill is like pulling teeth; too painful and I can't wait for it to be over. Last weekend, some way or another "A" convinced me to run the Sunfeast 10K with him. I didn't put up too much of a fight, since after all, if I wasn't running, I'd be waiting around in the stadium for an hour for him to reach the finish line. And besides, I could always walk the 10 kilometers and yes, it would take 2 hours or more, but that's what I "could" do.

For a few weeks, I'd been reading articles in Bangalore Times on how to prepare for the 10K, and of course we hadn't done crap (the last time I ran long distance, specifically 5km was a year ago). So, "A" and I just decided to go for it. The plan was to have a big plate of pasta and sleep early the night before the run. That would've been a good plan but unfortunately, social obligations kicked in and we went out with friends for a spicy andhra meal instead.

Next morning, we woke up at 6:00 a.m, had 2 bananas and drove off to the stadium where the run would begin. While warming up, my stomach started to act up from the andhra food. I paced back and forth and tried to ignore the pain, which was only getting worse by the second. Of all the days I could've forgotten to bring tissues! Under normal circumstances, I would have held it in and waited till I got home to use the toilet, but I know running would only make it worse. I had to go. I found a porta-potty and thankfully, there was a small toilet paper roll in it. It was by no means clean or stench-free but I couldn't care less at that point. Note to self; NO spicy andhra food before any runs next time.

Kanteerva Stadium, 10K Run
At the Kanteerva Stadium, waiting for our turn to run. There were about ten thousand participants.

While I was running, there were many, many times where I promised myself I could stop and walk for a few minutes at the next corner, but when I reached the next corner, I would see an old auntie or an overweight person running in front of me and I couldn't justify slowing down if they were still running.

Finally it took me 1 hour and 26 minutes to finish, but I did it! I completed a 10K run without stopping!

I caught a bug the day before the run, hence I was as sick and non-functional for a good four days after the run. Good excuse to be bedridden and a great way to recover.


Makeup Fiend said...

Candice! I am so impressed. Remember how hard it used to be for you to run even a mile? Way to go!!!

Po said...

haha! thanks katy! i remember bitching and moaning every time you make me run!